[RESOLVED] BA2512 Unable to create VSS snapshot

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v6.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, michael.jones, Michael F, Stuart, TimN, Mike D

[RESOLVED] BA2512 Unable to create VSS snapshot

Postby Alex H » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 am

Hi, hope someone can help
I have a single SBS 2011 server with BA 6.23 installed. I use 2 x USB external drives to back up the server on a nightly basis. I started in July 2011 and there has been no problems till I updated to 6.2.4r1 at the end of August, since then i have not had one successful backup.
All backups fail with the above error code and the following in the logs:
The backup operation stopped before completing.
Detailed error: ERROR - A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation error has occurred: (0x800423f0). The shadow-copy set only contains only a subset of the volumes needed to correctly backup the selected components of the writer.

A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" ... application event logs for more information.
ERROR - A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation error has occurred: (0x800423f0). The shadow-copy set only contains only a subset of the
volumes needed to correctly backup the selected components of the writer.

I was told to to disable the SBS Console Integration. This did not work. I was then told to Split job in two: one Imaging and one Exchange jobs. This has not worked either. I have also reverted back from 6.2.4r1 back to 6.2.3 but this has not worked either.

can anyone help please?

thanks

Alex
Alex H
User

Re: BA2512 Unable to create VSS snapshot

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:53 am

Hi Alex,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

Sorry to hear that you're having these issues with your backup and that the suggestions so far haven't worked for you.

I take it that you're performing a Windows Imaging backup - if this is the case, then the error you've been receiving is quite generic.
Usually when these types of VSS errors appear within the Windows imaging engine, there will be a better explanation as to why the errors are being received in the server event logs in Event Viewer (Start > Run > eventvwr).
The best place to start would be the backup logs, which are located in Event Viewer by browsing to Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Backup.

Hopefully the VSS writer which is generating the error will be listed and this will give you a lead as to where you can start looking for a resolution.

If you're still having issues once you've checked the event logs on the system, then you may need to provide us with some diagnostic information from the BackupAssist console so we can investigate further.
To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (server 2003/XP) or C:\ProgramData\ (server 2008/Vista/Win7)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder
- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

With the Temp folder, it's the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If you have any questions or concerns about anything I've said, please don't hesitate to reply to me; I'm more than happy to consider any feedback you have, or answer any questions.
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby rungu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:05 am

I have the same error message only it was working fine until beginning of the week now it fails with the above error, the only thing that has changed 2 exchange updates.
KB2553014 & KB2494001 I have tried to remove them but windows wont let me (here is not uninstall option on the windows updates page even when I right-click it does not give me an uninstall button. I tried it at the command line all it said was they were not installed??
Rungu
rungu
User

Postby rungu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:08 am

I also had a look at event viewer as per instructions all could find was
"The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎09‎-‎28T15:42:49.071000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348129'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."
Rungu
rungu
User

Postby Stuart » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Rungu,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team.

We have been receiving quite a number of these issues through our helpdesk lately. Further research leads me to believe that this may be related to a known issue with SBS 2011 which a hotfix has been released by Microsoft.
Please review the following blog post which we have about the topic. The error is different in your instance, however we've had reports that the update has fixed the error you're experiencing as well on SBS 2011.
http://www.backupassist.com/blog/support/microsoft-important-update-for-sbs-2011-and-sharepoint-2010-issue/.

If you do not have any success with this particular hotfix, please let us know.
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v6