Below is a listing of all BackupAssist ER releases.
BackupAssist ER 1.2.1
September 8, 2021
- You can now configure custom scripts to run before and after backups, just like you can in BackupAssist Classic (pre and post-backup scripting).
- Audit Log tracks the use of the BackupAssist ER console and the main backup and recovery operations.
- BackupAssist ER now supports configuring an Internet Proxy for web requests.
- Can now configure to Ignore SSL Warnings for S3 compatible destinations.
- Improve the validation sequence prior to starting multiple-disk Lifeline recoveries.
- Increase the limit for the number of backups to keep locally and in the cloud beyond 100.
- Report backups that are missed when a computer is in Sleep mode at the scheduled backup time.
- Fixed an issue that caused Cloud Backup failures for some Recovery/OEM volumes.
- Fixed a problem with Local and Cloud Backups of read-only (non-BMR) volumes.
- Fixed a backup fault that resulted in a BA6118 error on some systems that have OEM partitions.
- Fixed a corner case situation where an error in setting the backup VHD metadata resulted in future backups failing
- Fixed backup failures when backing up into NAS destinations after April 2021 Windows updates are installed.
- Improve backup reliability to iSCSI attached destinations.
Lifeline Recovery fixes
- Fixed an issue with Lifeline Recovery that resulted in each recovered disk incorrectly containing the Recovery and System partitions.
- Fixed Lifeline recovery issue that failed to attach the right drive letters on multi-disk restore of volumes from single disk backups.
- Fixed support for creating Lifeline recovery media on EFI systems using USB sticks >32GB.
- Fixed an issue where a cancelled or failed Lifeline recovery could in some situations incorrectly cause subsequent attempts to fail as well.
- Fixed a problem in Lifeline Recovery when recovering to an offline disk could fail.
- Fixed an issue in Lifeline recovery that sometimes resulted in the recovered system failing to boot - in particular with Server OS's with SAN policy set to OfflineShared.
- Fixed an issue in Lifeline recovery that sometimes resulted in the invalid recovery of empty (not selected for restore) volumes by the OS automatic repair process after restart.
- Improved Lifeline recovery to ensure that partition IDs are unique across the system for restored volumes.
- Fixed a display issue in Lifeline recovery that made fields hard to read on Hight Dot per Inch screens.
- Improved the ability to recover from backups that have been moved from their original location.
- Fixed an issue preventing the use of a custom Web API port setting.
- Ensure that a BA status code is correctly logged in the backup report if there is a timeout or error during Cyber Black Box forensics collection.
- A supported remote install/update script for BackupAssist Classic and BackupAssist ER is now available on request from our technical support team.
- Improve CryptoSafeGuard shield coverage during system startup.
- Fixed an issue preventing use of the VM Instant Boot feature on some systems where the CryptoSafeGuard shield was enabled.
- Reduced the chance of seeing BA8007 during a backup when CryptoSafeGuard is enabled.
BackupAssist ER 1.2.0
February 18, 2021
NEW Cyber black box recorder
After a cyber hacking incident, investigators rely on forensics to piece together what happened. Cyber Black Box captures this vital forensics information in real time and includes them in the backups.
NEW Expanded support for S3-compatible cloud storage providers
BackupAssist ER's S3-compatible cloud backup destination now has support for BackBlaze B2 storage, and improved and expanded support for QNAP QuObjects (previously OSS). It’s never been easier to create predictable and reliable backups to even more cloud storage solutions.
NEW Support for the backup and recovery of ReFS systems
BackupAssist ER now supports the backup and recovery of volumes with ReFS file systems.
Disk to Disk to Cloud Backup
- The number of downloaded cloud backup files and their cumulative size is now correctly reported.
- A recovery from a local backup now correctly reports the number of recovered files and their cumulative size.
- The detection of insufficient disk space when downloading a cloud backup has been improved.
- Fixed an "out of disk space" error that incorrectly stopped a cloud backup from downloading.
- Improved the performance of incremental backups to the cloud.
- Added a warning that subsequent cloud backup downloads will start from the beginning if the download is canceled.
- A cloud backup job’s secret key field now ignores leading and trailing spaces.
- Improved the reliability of destination checks for S3-compatible backups.
- Lifeline Recovery now supports restoring two volumes from one disk to 2 disks (one volume per disk).
- Lifeline Recovery now supports bare-metal recovery to a smaller disk than the original disk that was backed up.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a bare-metal recovery of read-only volumes (such as OEM partitions) to fail.
- The wording in the Recovery Report has been improved and localized.
- Improved Lifeline Recovery error messages related to accessing network backups.
- The original volume letter will now be retained for critical volumes after a bare-metal recovery.
- The bare-metal recovery process now provides more details about hidden volumes and their relations with the critical/OS volumes.
Exchange Granular Restore
- Exchange Granular Restore has been updated to show deleted items for public folders, and support universal language encodings in the message body.
- Support for Exchange Server 2019 CU3.
- Implemented support for hidden system partitions located on a different non-OS disk.
- Implemented support for backups of OEM, multiple recovery and MBR recovery partitions.
- Improved the speed of backups by improving the encryption performance.
- The Restore Activity tab column “Recover status“ will now be called “Backup status” during a recovery.
- When getting close to the end of the 7-day evaluation, the warning message that the user can Register the installation or Extend the evaluation has been clarified.
- Added labels to the icons on the top navigation bar to help explain what they do.
- Improved the Lifeline Recovery UI to more clearly report the recovery result.
- Fixed text that was cut off in some of the Lifeline Recovery screens.
- The Build a Lifeline recovery media screen no longer shows empty disks under the USB stick dropdown.
- Improved the size and position of the Lifeline Recovery wallpaper.
- The connection check is now only applicable when the installation is registered and it will not be shown for a registered evaluation.
- Fixed a bug in the backup engine for Windows 2012R2.
- Fixed hangs of ReFS volume backups.
- Fixed an error where a Volume Shadow Copy error (BA612) was being reported as Disk full error (BA6122).
- Fixed an issue where a backup job to a slow destination (e.g. NAS) times out and results in a failed backup.
- Fixed an issue where date/time was not following the culture settings of the Operating System.
- The debugger now correctly launches the BA Classic console.
- Fixed an issue that prevented backups of an MBR extended partition from being accessed during a recovery.
- Fixed an issue that would delete existing non-system volumes if they existed in the target bare-metal recovery disk.
- Fixed an issue involving bare-metal recovery to dissimilar hardware: AHCI->NVMe, NVMe->AHCI.
- Fixed an issue that prevented a recovery from accessing a network backup after previously canceling a recovery that had used that backup.
Managed Backup Console
- Fixed a problem that prevented an installation from sending requests to the Managed Backup Console if the machine time was set to a future date.
- Extended the daily grace period for pings to Managed Backup Console, so that a new installation is not immediately de-registered upon receiving a fail response.
- Backup reports sent to the Managed Backup Console will now retry if the first attempt fails.
BackupAssist ER 1.1.2
September 9, 2020
- The release addresses a vulnerability in the software that could be used to compromise backup data. We are recommending that all BackupAssist ER users upgrade to v1.1.2 to receive this update.
BackupAssist ER 1.1.1
September 2, 2020
- Fixed an issue that caused local backups to be stuck at the beginning or about 3/4 of the way into the backup when running on systems with latest Windows updates.
BackupAssist ER 1.1.0
August 24, 2020
- Introduced support for S3-compatible cloud backup destinations. This includes support for destinations like Wasabi, MinIO, etc.
- Fixed an issue that prevented recovery or instant boot from a backup that was done when the job was disabled
- Improved the handling of volume and bare-metal selections when validating jobs.
- CryptoSafeGuard will now be enabled by default.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a CryptoSafeGuard scan to hang because of a specific file pattern.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Lifeline Recovery to incorrectly report “recovery succeeded” when the connection to the backup or the recovery destination is lost during the recovery.
- Improved flexibility on the recovery destination when there is more than 1 volume in the backup. e.g. Input: 4TB disk; partitions C*/D/E*/F are 1TB. Options now include: restore C/E to 2TB disk or F to 1TB disk.
File and application recovery
- Fixed an issue where a recovery could fail, in some circumstances, when a scheduled backup starts during the recovery process.
- Fixed an issue where the wrong error message was displayed when trying to run a recovery while a backup is running. Previously it was displaying a CryptoSafeGuard error.
Exchange Granular Restore
- New option to launch the Exchange Granular Restore tool manually so clients can extract emails from .edb/.pst files previously recovered from a cloud backup.
- Updated the BackupAssist ER icon in the list of installed applications.
- For the “Your recover options” page cards, the help links have been moved to the bottom left and the action buttons have been moved to the bottom right.
- Resized the column widths for the files table in the Recover properties to optimize the space usage.
- The Action buttons for the “Restore from available backup” page is always visible so it does not scroll off the page if the grid is too long.
- Fixed potentially inaccurate subscription-renewal-date display.
- BackupAssist ER will now only allow license keys in the valid format to be used.
- Improved the backup report warnings for reverse-incremental problems.
- Other applications can now appear in front of the BackupAssist ER splash screen.
- Removed the NTFS and file ownership options when downloading backups. These are not relevant to backup downloading.