Exteremely slow deletions of file replication backups

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v4.x.x

Moderators: casey.burns, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

Exteremely slow deletions of file replication backups

Postby Mike Nichols » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 pm

I have been running BackupAssist V4 for roughly a year and 3 months doing a file replication backup to a Windows 2003 R2 Std x64 server functioning as a NAS for a backup destination.

The disk subsystem on the server storing the backups is a 6 drive hardware RAID10 array using Western Digital RE3 SATA drives, and a Adaptec RAID controller w/ 512MB of cache.
CPU is a quad core Xeon with 8GB of ram.

We have been starting to run lean on space on the server that's storing backups so I was going to archive a few external drives that we were running secondary jobs to for an off-site backup and delete everything on the NAS/On-Site backup.

I am finding it's extremely slow to try to delete any of the BA file replication backups that are stored on the NAS.
It took well over 24 hours just to delete a single backup out of the grandfather-father-son scheme.
At this rate it's going to take several weeks to delete everything.

There are roughly 2 million files in the original backup set.

I assume that the slow deletions is due to all of the linking that goes on with the single instance storage.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to delete my BA generated file replciation backup set faster?

There are other backups stored on this NAS server so reformatting the array is not really a good option.
Mike Nichols
User

Re: Exteremely slow deletions of file replication backups

Postby Mike Nichols » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:49 pm

i also wanted to mention i'm doing the deletion by rmdir /s /q dirname

at a command prompt so it's not like it's going to the recycle bin first.
Mike Nichols
User

Postby michael.jones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 am

Hello ,

Thanks for contacting us in relation to BackupAssist. I'm Michael Jones, one of the technical support engineers.
I am sorry that you are having issues with our product. I would like very much to work with you to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.

We have a program called FileAssist which was designed to do exactly what you want. It uses the same routines that we use within BackupAssist itself. It was developed a couple of years ago and we plan to release it as a free tool.

Please send me a request for it support@backupassist.com, and I will send it to you.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby Mike Nichols » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 am

Hello,

Thank you for the response and that's great that you have a tool to assist with this.
otherwise my other alternative was to dump whatever i needed to external drives, do a quick format then load them back on as a typical deletion was going to take entirely too long.

I did submit a support request around 7:35 this morning EST if you want to reply to that.

the subject was very slow deletions on file replication destination.

Michael Nichols
Systems Engineer
DataNet, LLC
Mike Nichols
User

Postby michael.jones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:58 am

Hello Mike,

I have sent you the file, please let me know if I can be of further help.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby Stuart » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Please be aware that we no longer provide FileAssist to users due to this never making it out of formal testing.

If you're needing assistance; then you'll need to speak to our support team to move forward.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v4