[RESOLVED] BA950

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v5.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

[RESOLVED] BA950

Postby marcop.eos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:40 am

Hi, I have backupassist ver. 5.4.5 installed on Hyper-V Server R2 with 2 jobs with the same vhd files (Hyper-V disk). One job run on RDX drive and one on another server by network share. The job on RDX run properly while the job on network share reports BA950 major warning:
VSS_0x800423f0L Volume Shadow Copy Error 0x800423f0.
How can I fix this?
Thanks.

Marco
marcop.eos
User

Re: BA950 Volume Shadow Copy Error 0x800423f0

Postby directpath » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:01 am

We are getting these errors too but we do NOT have Exchange installed.

The command "vssadmin list writers" does not show any errors. We have Windows Server Backup installed which runs backups every 30 mins but have disabled the schedule this afternoon to see if that was interfering with BA, but the errors continue to appear.

We also have 2008 R2 with Hyper-V. The logged error is:

Data Backup: BA950 Volume Shadow Copy Error 0x800423f0 - writer error: inconsistent snapshot
Additional Information: be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4: ASR Writer (Failed at prepare snapshot)

BA is creating a zip file of a VHD. The options for "MS Volume Shadow Copy Service" and "Enable VSS writers" are checked.

Any advice to fix this error please?
Thanks,
Gary.
directpath
User

Re: BA950

Postby michael.jones » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:01 am

Hello Gary,

Thanks for contacting us in relation to BackupAssist. I'm Michael Jones, one of the technical support engineers.
I am sorry that you are having issues with our product. I would like very much to work with you to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.

Would it be possible for you to submit a copy of your diagnostics so that we may investigate this issue in greater detail?

To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby directpath » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:12 am

I thought you were going to say that so sent you the diagnostics a couple of hours ago. :-)

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks.
directpath
User

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi all,

Just updating this thread as it doesn't contain the fix which was implemented to resolve the original posters issue.

We have updated our knowledge base article for BA950: writer error: inconsistent snapshot with the information to resolve this issue.
This knowledge base can be accessed at http://kb.backupassist.com/articles.php?aid=2995.
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Re: [RESOLVED] BA950

Postby Gibster » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 am

We're receiving BA950 on Windows 7 system. Is the fix the same to assign a drive letter to the 100MB partition? Thanks.
Gibster
User

Postby Michael F » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:48 am

Hi,

Thank you for posting on our forum. I'm Michael Farquhar with the BackupAssist sales and support team.

One of the reasons you get a BA950 error on a Windows 7 platform is if no drive letter is assigned to the reserved partition.
If you move your cursor in the backup report over the BA950 error details, if a message indicates the ASR writer failed, then adding a drive letter to the reserve partition should resolve the error.

If this is not the problem, could you please send our tech team the Diagnostic Bug report from the BackupAssist console? This report provides detailed logs that help them to identify the exact nature of the problem. Once they have received the report, the team will review it and get back with you on their findings.

To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:
1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the console) ->Contact support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is ticked.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have additional queries or comments - I'd be happy to help.
Kind regards,

Michael
Michael F
Cortex I.T.

Postby Gibster » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 am

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the reply.

I did notice this fix;
http://kb.backupassist.com/articles.php?aid=2995

However it only mentions Windows Server 2008, not Windows 7.

The error does mention the ASR Writer failed. I will assign a drive letter, monitor and post the results.
Thanks
Gibster
User

Postby Gibster » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 am

Update:
There is no 100MB partition on the drive. There is a 13.5GB partition which does not have a drive letter, but it is labeled as a recovery partition and cant give it a drive letter.
Gibster
User

Return to Technical Support v5