hardlink creation on NTFS vs ext3

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v5.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

hardlink creation on NTFS vs ext3

Postby davewelsh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 am

I'm running BackupAssist to backup about 350 GB of data to a remote location over ssh/rsync. When I used to back up to a CentOS computer with ext3 hard drives, making a hardlink copy of the previous backup would take about 3 minutes. Now I'm backing up to a Windows XP computer (running cygwin) with NTFS-formatted drives and it's taking hours. I logged into the cygwin environment on the XP computer with SSH and ran
Code: Select all
time cp -al Tuesday Tuesday2

It's still running after 90 minutes. The same command on the CentOS computer takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Both computers have similar hardware.

Is this something to do with NTFS, or do I have another problem?
davewelsh
User

Re: hardlink creation on NTFS vs ext3

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

Sorry to hear that you're having these speed issues with your backup.

I'm afraid that we'll need to get you to raise a case in regards to this through our help desk so that we can investigate further.
To do this I'll need to you take the time to submit some diagnostic information.
To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (server 2003/XP) or C:\ProgramData\ (server 2008/Vista/Win7)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you have anything else to add, please reply to my post or send an e-mail directly to support@backupassist.com.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v5