[RESOLVED] Catalogue Files

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v5.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

[RESOLVED] Catalogue Files

Postby JoshMCN » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 am

I just need to know if it's alright to just delete old catalogue files and if so, how to determine the most recent file that you can delete without causing any problems.
JoshMCN
User

Re: Catalogue Files

Postby Stuart » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Josh,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

I'm afraid that we'll require some additional information as to what catalogue files you're referring to (as BackupAssist uses catalogue files located in different folders depending on which backup method you're using).
What is the folder path which these catalogue files located in?
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby JoshMCN » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:12 am

Hi Stuart,
The files i'm looking at are stored in C:\ProgramData\BackupAssist v5\catalogues\4\ on this particular server. It has over 1GB of .bac files dating back to Jan 2010. Going by the rotations the data should never be more than 5months old, unless the client misses a backup.
JoshMCN
User

Postby Stuart » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:19 am

Hi again Josh,

Thanks for providing the extra details.

While you can delete the catalogue files without any issue in 'breaking' the software, these are used to detect the backups within the BackupAssist Restore Console.
If you delete the catalogue files, the backups which are associated with the catalogue won't be able to be restored from the Restore Console.

However; we have thought about this scenario previously since sometimes the catalogue files are not available due to system crashes and have placed measures to allow the files to be restored in different ways other than the Restore Console.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if you delete these or not Josh.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby JoshMCN » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 am

Thank you Stuart,

It is precisely what I thought the answer would be, just needed that confirmation before I dove in and cleared them. After confirming how far back the backups are kept I was able to delete about 75% of the catalogues. The extra 800mb of drive space is very welcome on the server.
JoshMCN
User

Return to Technical Support v5