RSM reset failed.

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v5.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

RSM reset failed.

Postby TSchwab05 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 am

Hello ~ I have a client running SBS2008 and Backup Assist v5.4.8 (8088) backing up to a LaCie USB drive. Every so often, BA cannot find the drive. When I try to run an RMS reset, it reports that it has failed the reset. I saw in an earlier post that the Removable Media Service can be stopped, and the files in a directory (C:\Windows\System32\NTSMDATA) can be renamed to *.old. I found no RMS service (though I did stop the Backup Assist Service) and I found no directory named NTSMDATA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TSchwab05
User

Re: RSM reset failed.

Postby Stuart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

The Removable Storage Manager (RSM) was discontinued from Server 2008 onwards. This means it's only applicable to older operating systems (Server 2003 and older).
The best thing to be checking if your USB drive isn't being detected properly is to check under Disk Management (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc) to make sure Windows is initialising the drive correctly with the drive letter BackupAssist is expecting to back up to.

While BackupAssist will attempt to re-scan all devices connected, if Windows isn't initialising the drive correctly then BackupAssist will most likely fail when it scans the system as well (due to using Windows to do this).
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v5