BackupAssist Classic v11
BackupAssist Classic v11.1.0
July 20, 2021
- New dedicated destination option for Cloud Backups to Wasabi.
- New report for backups missed due to the computer being in Sleep mode at the scheduled backup time.
- New release of Exchange Granular Restore - includes support for Exchange 2019 up to CU9 and Exchange 2016 up to CU20.
Cloud Backup enhancements
- Cloud backups that don't back up anything now fail with the error "BA20 No valid selections".
- Backups to AWS and Azure destinations are now supported when TLS v1.0 is disabled.
Cyber Black Box enhancements
- Forensics data collection is now executed separately from CryptoSafeGuard scanning.
- The cyber black-box package file is now timestamped to allow easier sorting and correlation with other logs in the system.
Reporting and UI enhancements
- We now report the size of SQL Protection backups in reports.
- Include Exchange 2019 in Exchange Granular Restore button description.
- The Help button in the top right corner of each screen now opens the Help menu instead of going to the online documentation.
- Fixed an error that stopped System Protection backups with the BA101 error after an unsuccessful attempt to remove old backups.
- Fixed an issue where the "Delete previous backup" option for System Protection to NAS could incorrectly leave catalogues on the system for deleted backups.
- Fix a bug causing a recovery from a System Protection backup on a UNC path to fail in rare circumstances.
- Fixed a problem that caused the application to crash when deselecting "Still Perform Scheduled Backup" option in "Run-Now" form.
- Gaps in long path support (> 260 characters) have now been closed on all supported operating systems.
- A user attempting to initiate a restore without the adequate backup privilege will no longer result in a crash.
- Fixed issues with the collection of forensics in some rare cases.
- Improved encryption password handling for Cloud Backup to avoid issues in some rare cases.
- Fixed cloud destination checking to avoid throwing re-use errors for moved backups.
- Fixed rare problem in cloud backup when failed file backup is not retried.
- Fixed an issue preventing backups from being included in the list of backups available due to a long machine name.
- Improved the accuracy of the volume progress display for cloud backups.
- Non-recoverable backups are no longer listed in the Media Usage (Restore Points) section of the cloud backup report.
- Fixed a problem where the oldest and newest backup times shown in a cloud backup report could be incorrect.
- Fixed an issue that could result in corrupt CryptoSafeGuard result being created.
- Improved the robustness of BackupAssist in the presence of incomplete CryptoSafeGuard result files.
- Fixed the "Only overwrite older files" option in the Integrated Restore Console.
- Fixed a bug where the restore console was not showing a drive if there was a local drive with ejected media at the same drive letter.
- Fixed a problem recovering Hyper-V guests that could occur in rare circumstances.
BackupAssist Classic 11.0.1
May 20, 2021
Fixed backup failures when backing up into NAS destinations with a Data Container, after April 2021 Windows updates are installed.
BackupAssist Classic 11.0.0
December 1, 2020
BackupAssist Classic v11 provides great new features to help you stay cyber-resilient.
Cyber Black Box recorder
Faster investigations, better remediations.
After a cyber hacking incident, investigators rely on forensics to piece together what happened. Unfortunately, SMBs rarely gather and keep such evidence. Cyber Black Box captures vital forensics information in real time and includes them in the backups. Current and historical forensics are now available to investigators.
To learn more, see Cyber Black Box.
Password protection for the BackupAssist Console
An extra layer of security.
Ensures only authorized users can run the software. Prevents malicious actors from changing backup configuration. Set up a password and password hint. Secure password reset is available via BackupAssist customer service.
To learn more, see Password protection.
S3-compatible destination for cloud backups
More options, smaller storage costs.
Opens up more cloud storage options via public clouds providers like Wasabi and BackBlaze, and private cloud software packages like FreeNAS, MinIO, and Zenko CloudServer. Pick the right option to suit your security requirements, data handling / compliance needs, and budget. Full support for continuing incremental Cloud Backups after copying the container in full from one Cloud Backup destination to another (WebDAV is not supported).
To learn more, see Cloud Backup
Even better security against ransomware.
Detection: Improved whitelisting by filename. QuickBooks restore instructions files no longer trigger false positives.
Shielding: BackupAssist configuration and data files are shielded from corruption by ransomware and malicious change by hackers.
To learn more, see BackupAssist CryptoSafeGuard
Other improvements and enhancements include:
- New look UI design and improved main navigation.
- Audit Log captures high level activities initiated by users of BackupAssist and the major activities of the BackupAssist Service and Executor.
- RecoverAssist environments are safe to build from the local system after applying future untested Windows Updates. Also applies to Bootable Backup Media creation.
- Installation no longer supported on unsupported Windows OS. V11 only installs on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and Windows Server 2012 and later.
- Installation requires Microsoft.Net 4.6.2 and will optionally install that version if required.
Bug fixes include:
- Fixed rare service crash on startup when reporting job executions.
- “Don’t keep deleted files” option for Rsync mirror not working.
- CSG honeypots vulnerable to false positives when roaming profiles are enabled.
- CSG Hyper-V guest scanning without snapshot since 10.5.4.
- Fixed bug with restoring data from moved cloud backups.