Upgrading from BackupAssist v3 to v5
Upgrading from BackupAssist version 3 to version 5 involves two steps:
- Product Key Upgrade: purchasing a version 5 product key.
- Software Upgrade: installing version 5 on your machine.
We recommend trialling BackupAssist v5 on a test machine before upgrading your production machine. Once you are happy that v5 suits your needs, you can upgrade your installation of BackupAssist v3 by completing the following steps:
If you are upgrading from version 3 to version 5 you will need to purchase a version 5 product key to activate the software. Version 3 license keys will not work with version 5.
- To purchase an upgrade to a version 5 Product key visit our purchasing page
Note: you may be re-directed to a purchasing page localized to your language. If so, the ordering process will differ from the one outlined below. Once you have your v5 product key you can proceed to the software upgrade.
- Click the Purchase Now link
- Select the type of license you own - Commercial or Educational - and choose Upgrade my license to the latest version. Now click Next.
- Indicate that you are upgrading from a Version 3 license. You will then be asked to provide your original version 3 license key(s) for validation.
To retrieve your version 3 license key(s) details please follow these instructions:
- Launch the BackupAssist version 3 console.
- Go to Help -> Enter Registration Details
- Once you have verified your license click Next and complete the remaining steps.
- Download the Upgrade from 3.5.3 to 5.x here and run the setupBA.exe installer.
- During installation you will be given the option to migrate your version 3 job settings to version 5. Click Yes if you would like to migrate your settings:
Note: You must be running version 3.5.3 of BackupAssist in order to migrate version 3 settings. If you are running an earlier release, you will be prompted to download the update to version 3.5.3. You can also downloading the 3.5.3 upgrader here.
- During the migration process BackupAssist will display a list of what version 3 settings can and cannot be migrated to version 5:
- Click Begin Migration to start the migration process:
- Once the migration is complete, you will be presented with a check-list of additional steps that are recommended to ensure a smooth transititon from v3 to v5:
Note: BackupAssist version 3 is not uninstalled during the migration process. Part of the migration process involves disabling version 3 services; this prevents version 3 from automatically launching any future backups. You can uninstall version 3 by going to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.