BackupAssist Classic installation & migration
BackupAssist Classic is available for download from our website. This is a fully functional 30-day trial version of BackupAssist Classic(including all add-ons).
Read this section before installing BackupAssist Classic. It explains how to download BackupAssist Classic, and what the .NET, system and service pack requirements are.
BackupAssist Classic's requirements
To view operating system requirements, see Supported platforms
To view system requirements, see System requirements
Downloading BackupAssist Classic
To download BackupAssist Classic:
- Go to our website’s Downloads page.
- If you are a new customer, select Download from the Latest version tab. You will be taken to the trial registration page. Enter the details required and select Download BackupAssist.
- If you are an existing customer, select Download from the Upgrade / Update tab.
When the BackupAssist Classic download begins, you will be prompted to confirm the default download location or select a new one. Select or confirm your download location, and a file named setupBA_x.x.x.exe will be downloaded. x.x.x denotes the current version of BackupAssist Classic.
After downloading the install file, it will prompt you to run it or save to the selected destination, depending on your web browser and your web browser’s settings.
BackupAssist Classic installation
This section explains how to install BackupAssist Classic onto the computer that will be used to run your backups. Most backups will be of data and volumes on the local server, but file backups also allow you to select data on shares if the share has been added to BackupAssist Classic using Network paths
You will need to install BackupAssist Classic using an account with the required permissions to that computer.
Note: A reboot will be required after BackupAssist Classic has installed if you are installing onto a computer that does not have an earlier version of BackupAssist Classic, or if any system or framework files need to be installed.
- Run or double-click the setupBA_x.x.x.exe file. You may be prompted to confirm that you wish to run this program, if your computer has security policies enabled.
- The installation wizard will start and prepare the BackupAssist Classic files. Once the files are ready, you will be asked to confirm that you would like to install BackupAssist Classic.
- The next screen will present the BackupAssist End User License Agreement. Once you have read the agreement, if you would like to proceed, select I accept the terms of the license agreement.
- The next screen will ask you to confirm or change the installation destination. If you would like to install BackupAssist Classic to a location different to the one shown, use the Change button and browse to the required location and then select OK.
- The next screen will give you a chance to go back and modify your selections.
- BackupAssist Classic will now begin to install onto your computer. Once BackupAssist Classic has been installed, a completion screen will be displayed.
If you left Launch BackupAssist ticked, BackupAssist Classic will now start.
If BackupAssist Classic installed any VHD driver, system or framework files, BackupAssist Classic will request confirmation to reboot your computer when you select Finish.
Congratulations, BackupAssist is now installed.
To start planning your first backup, see the Jobs tab
BackupAssist Classic migration
When you run BackupAssist for the first time, it will check if you have upgraded from an earlier version of BackupAssist Classic, and give you a chance to migrate your settings and backup jobs.
Note: To license the latest version of BackupAssist Classic you need valid BackupCare. BackupCare gives you access to the latest version. To confirm your current BackupCare status simply check your current license.
To migrate from an earlier version of BackupAssist Classic:
- Start BackupAssist Classic using the desktop shortcut or by selecting Start > All Programs > BackupAssist 12 > BackupAssist Console.
- If you are upgrading and wish to migrate your BackupAssist Classic settings and jobs, select Yes.
- Select Begin migration, and the migration process will start.
- Once the migration has completed, select Finish.
If settings and backup jobs from an earlier version of BackupAssist Classic are detected, the Settings from an old version of BackupAssist message will appear.
If you select Yes, you will be presented with the BackupAssist Classic migration screen.
BackupAssist Classic will now start using the settings and backup jobs that you migrated.
Note: If you have licenses but BackupAssist Classic starts in trial mode, select Licensing from the Help menu to open the licensing dialog. Select the Activate keys button to enable your license keys.